Sony Camera Repair
MYK Camera Repair offers high-quality Sony camera repair services and fast turnaround by our in-house technicians including free estimates, free UPS ground return shipping & 6 month parts and labor warranty.
We are proud to have provided the highest customer satisfaction in Sony camera repair services in the U.S. for over 20 years.
Common Sony Alpha Camera Issues & How to fix
- Camera says “camera error”:
Most often there is a problem with the shutter unit and the shutter unit needs to be replaced.
Sometimes the shutter drive motor is the cause of the problem.
For example, if the shutter does not stop itself when the power is turned on and continues to flap, it is the shutter drive motor problem.
In this case, you will need to replace the shutter drive unit (MB Charging Unit) as Sony does not only sell shutter motors.
- No power at all, Won’t turn on:
There may be a fuse, but the chances are 50/50.
There are plenty of other possibilities, sometimes cables, connectors, switches or even the main circuit boards need to be replaced in the worst case.
For A33 & A55 cameras, there is a problem with the shutter drive motor and it has to be replaced with a updated motor.
You can purchase the updated part from Encompass.
- LCD screen doesn’t work:
In our experience, there are many problems with the LCD cable, but if it is damaged by water or shock, there may be a problem elsewhere such as LCD circuit board, LCD or Main circuit board.
- Manual wheel, Menu Wheel or Buttons don’t work:
It’s a straightforward repair, but sometimes a button that is pressed incorrectly due to a sticky foreign substance can interfere with the normal operation of the button.
Before ordering parts, you must determine the cause.
- Crooked sensor or crooked SteadyShot mechanism (Slider, Image Stabilizer, Shaken Unit) You’ll also get a “Camera Error” message:
Even in this case, a “camera error” message may appear after a while of normal operation.
On the A7 series cameras, you feel a slight vibration the moment when you turn the power on and off. This means that the SteadyShot mechanism is working normally.
Conversely, the absence of this vibration means that the SteadyShot Mechanism is not working correctly.
In our experience, it’s rarely necessary to replace the SteadyShot Mechanism.
In most cases, loosened screws or rubber from the inside of the camera or SteadyShot Mechanism were caught in the middle of the SteadyShot Mechanism and prevented the operation.
- Won’t recognize memory cards:
Another straightforward repair.
In order to save repair time and cost, repairs are made component level instead of replacement of the entire card slot circuit board or main circuit board if the damage is not severe.
- Broken USB or HDMI port:
This is a major repair.
Unfortunately, the usb and hdmi ports are on the main circuit board.
So, we have to check if only the port is broken or the main circuit board is damaged as well.
Even if there is damage to the main circuit board, there is a slight chance that it can be repaired, but it is difficult to say whether it is repairable until the condition is visually checked and repair is attempted.
How to get a free estimate for your Sony Alpha camera
- Let us know the model number and symptom of your Sony camera through our Free Estimate form.
- You’ll be emailed with an estimate within 24 hours. If you feel satisfied with the estimate and decided to send your Sony camera to us, proceed to the next step.
- Pack your Sony camera safely and ship via UPS, FedEx or USPS.
- Once we have received your Sony camera, we’ll inspect thoroughly and let you know what the exact repair cost is. Then we’ll proceed with the repair upon approval. What if you don’t want us to repair at this point? just let us know, we’ll get your Sony camera back to you at no cost, there’s no estimate fee. You just need to pay for the return shipping which is around $15 to $30 depending on the size and weight of the package.
- Once the repair has been completed, we’ll send you a completion e-mail and an invoice that you can pay through online.
- Done! we’ll pack your Sony camera up and ship it back to you. You’ll be e-mailed a tracking number when it ships.